Welcome to Woodworker++

This blog is intended to be a journal of my progress as a woodworker. Grab a drink, maybe some popcorn, sit back and enjoy a glimpse into my woodworking projects, both failed and successful. Why should you care what I do, or what I have to say? You shouldn't, but just maybe I can keep you from making the same mistakes that I had to learn the hard way.

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Talking with Pop...

I went to my grandfather's house today and hung out with him for a while. We got to talking about guitars & woodworking, as usual, and I asked him about the lumber in the top of his barn.

Me: "What is that painted lumber in the top of the barn?"
Pop: "That's all mahogany! One inch thick. Came off the bottom of a bunch of boats."
Me: "All of that is mahogany?"
Pop: "You need to get it. I'll never use it. Get it, it's good stuff, just be sure to check it for screw before you plane it."
Me: "uhh.. OK!"

So, apparently, I have come into some re-claimed mahogany. My guesstimate is it's 100 to 200 bft. It's been in the top of the barn since I was a kid. I know it's been there at least 15-20 years.

He also told me about a bunch of pine in the barn. I knew it was there, I've seen it a hundred times. Turns out it's pine from my grandparents land. There's probably 500 bft. Some of it was infested with worms, so it has the worm trails. I remember that pine being in there when I was a little kid. I know it's 25 years old. All air dried! Wow. He told me to come and get what I wanted, " 'cause I ain't gonna every use it."

wow.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: