To ad rigidity to the lamp, I decided to have a half-lapped cross piece holding the stretchers together. This was my first half lap attempt, and it came out pretty good. There was a mild gap in it, but only on one side. The joint was still tight, and somewhat square. I ddin't go for looks when putting the cross piece into the lamp, which is obvious. This part will be covered up by the shade, so I didn't spend a lot of time on it. In hindsight, I wish I had. That, and the wifey's comment "I doesn't matter if it's not seen, it's called craftsmanship". She's right. I should have spent the extra time.